Be Healthy QC Coalition: A QCHI Project
Be Healthy QC seeks to have all sectors of our bi-state community align and work together on program, policy, systems and environmental changes in order to create a "culture of wellness" that supports healthy eating and active living.
All residents of the Quad Cities.
Start Date/Current Status
The Be Healthy QC Coalition assembled in January of 2013 and continues to meet several times a year.
To increase physical activity and healthy eating.
Topic Areas (past and present)
Built Environment for Active Living
Access to Healthy Foods
Cross-Sector Education and Health Promotion on Healthy Eating and Physical Activity
Be Healthy QC seeks to change the following population health measures in the Quad Cities Area:
- The percentage of adults who report no leisure-time physical activity in the past month.
- The percentage of adults who regularly participate in adequate levels of both aerobic and strengthening activities (meeting physical activity recommendations).
- The percentage of children (ages 2-17) who report to have had 60 minutes of physical activity on each of the 7 days preceding the interview (1+ hours per day).
- The percentage of adults who report eating 5 or more servings of fruits and/or vegetables per day.
- The percentage of children (ages 2-17) who eat 5 or more servings of fruits and/or vegetables per day (parents recalled their child's food intake on the previous day).
Shared Measures for Both Goals
- The percentage of adults at a healthy weight (BMI 18.5-24.9).
- The percentage of children ages 5-17 at a healthy weight (BMI >=5th and < 85th percentile).
Be Healthy QC Coalition Member Organizations
American Red Cross
Bi-State Regional Commission
Churches United of the Quad City Area
City of Bettendorf
City of Davenport
Genesis Health System
Iowa State University Extension and Outreach
Kindred at Home
True Lifestyle Medicine Clinic
Rock Island County Health Department
Rock Island County Regional Office of Education
Scott County Health Department
Sivyer Steel Castings LLC
St. Ambrose University
Two Rivers YMCA
United Way Quad Cities
UnityPoint Health - Trinity
University of Illinois Extension
YMCA of the Iowa Mississippi Valley
Denise Bulat - Project Chair (309-793-6302)
Nicole Carkner - Staff (563-421-2815)