Be Healthy QC Coalition: A QCHI Project
Be Healthy QC seeks to have all sectors of our bi-state community align and work together on program, policy, systems and environmental changes in order to create a "culture of wellness" that supports healthy eating and active living.
All residents of the Quad Cities.
Start Date/Current Status
The Be Healthy QC Coalition assembled in January of 2013 and continues to meet several times a year.
Project Goals and Topics
Goal: To increase physical activity and healthy eating
Built Environment for Active Living
Access to Healthy Foods
Cross-Sector Education and Health Promotion on Healthy Eating and Physical Activity
Be Healthy QC seeks to change the following population health measures:
- The percentage of adults reporting no leisure time physical activity in the past month.
- The percentage of adults reporting participating in regular, sustained moderate or vigorous physical activity (meeting physical activity recommendations).
- The percentage of school aged children (5-17) participating in moderate physical activity (5 times a week, 30 minutes at a time).
- The percentage of school aged children (5-17) participating in vigorous physical activity (3 times a week, 20 minutes at a time).
- The percentage of adults reporting eating five or more servings of fruits/vegetables per day.
- The percentage of parents reporting that their child (under age 18) eats five or more servings of fruits/vegetables per day.
Shared Measures for Both Goals
- The percentage of adults at a healthy weight (BMI 18.5-24.9).
- The percentage of children ages 5-17 at a healthy weight (BMI >=5th and < 85th percentile).
Be Healthy QC Coalition Member Organizations
Bi-State Regional Commission
Child Abuse Council
City of Davenport
Deere & Company
Genesis Health System
Modern Woodmen of America
Quad City Medical Society/True Lifestyle Medicine Clinic
Rock Island County Health Department
Scott County Health Department
Two Rivers YMCA
United Way of the Quad Cities Area
UnityPoint Health - Trinity
University of Illinois Extension
Denise Bulat - Project Chair (309-793-6302)
Nicole Carkner - Staff (563-421-2815)