Be Healthy QC Coalition: A QCHI Project
Be Healthy QC seeks to have all sectors of our bi-state community align and work together on program, policy, systems and environmental changes in order to create a "culture of wellness" that supports healthy eating and active living.
All residents of the Quad Cities.
Start Date/Current Status
The Be Healthy QC Coalition assembled in January of 2013 and continues to meet several times a year.
Project Goals and Objectives
Goal: To increase physical activity and healthy eating
1. Promote development and adoption of worksite wellness policies and programs.
2. Promote development and implementation of comprehensive school wellness policies.
3. Promote development and implementation of nutrition and physical activity interventions in preschool and child care facilities.
4. Develop a built environment that supports active living.
5. Increase access to healthy foods, especially fruits and vegetables.
6. Implement a cross-sector health promotion campaign on health eating and active living/physical activity.
Be Healthy QC seeks to change the following population health measures:
1. The percentage of adults reporting no leisure time physical activity in the past month.
2. The percentage of adults reporting participating in regular, sustained moderate or vigorous physical activity (meeting physical activity recommendations).
3. The percentage of school aged children (5-17) participating in moderate physical activity (5 times a week, 30 minutes at a time).
4. The percentage of school aged children (5-17) participating in vigorous physical activity (3 times a week, 20 minutes at a time).
1. The percentage of adults reporting eating five or more servings of fruits/vegetables per day.
2.The percentage of parents reporting that their child (under age 18) eats five or more servings of fruits/vegetables per day.
Shared Measures for Both Goals
1. The percentage of adults at a healthy weight (BMI 18.5-24.9).
2. The percentage of children ages 5-17 at a healthy weight (BMI >=5th and < 85th percentile).
Be Healthy QC Coalition Member Organizations
Bi-State Regional Commission
Broadway Presbyterian Church/Rock Island Urban Gardeners
City of Bettendorf
City of Davenport
Community Health Care, Inc.
Deere & Company
Genesis Health System
Iowa State University Extension and Outreach (Scott County)
Quad City Medical Society
Rock Island Arsenal
Rock Island County Health Department
Rock Island/Milan School District #41
Rock Island Regional Office of Education
Scott County Family YMCA
Scott County Health Department
True Lifestyle Medicine Clinic
Two Rivers YMCA
United Way of the Quad Cities Area
UnityPoint Health - Trinity/Robert Young Center
University of Illinois Extension (Rock Island County)
Denise Bulat - Project Chair (309-793-6302)
Nicole Carkner - Staff (563-421-2815)
Rachel Evans - Staff (563-421-2826)