Be Healthy QC Coalition: A QCHI Project
Be Healthy QC seeks to have all sectors of our bi-state community align and work together on program, policy, systems and environmental changes in order to create a "culture of wellness" that supports healthy eating and active living.
All residents of the Quad Cities.
Start Date/Current Status
The Be Healthy QC Coalition assembled in January of 2013 and continues to meet several times a year.
Project Goals and Topics
Goal: To increase physical activity and healthy eating
Preschool and Child Care Wellness
Built Environment for Active Living
Access to Healthy Foods
Cross-Sector Education and Health Promotion on Healthy Eating and Physical Activity
Be Healthy QC seeks to change the following population health measures:
1. The percentage of adults reporting no leisure time physical activity in the past month.
2. The percentage of adults reporting participating in regular, sustained moderate or vigorous physical activity (meeting physical activity recommendations).
3. The percentage of school aged children (5-17) participating in moderate physical activity (5 times a week, 30 minutes at a time).
4. The percentage of school aged children (5-17) participating in vigorous physical activity (3 times a week, 20 minutes at a time).
1. The percentage of adults reporting eating five or more servings of fruits/vegetables per day.
2.The percentage of parents reporting that their child (under age 18) eats five or more servings of fruits/vegetables per day.
Shared Measures for Both Goals
1. The percentage of adults at a healthy weight (BMI 18.5-24.9).
2. The percentage of children ages 5-17 at a healthy weight (BMI >=5th and < 85th percentile).
Be Healthy QC Coalition Member Organizations
Bi-State Regional Commission
Broadway Presbyterian Church/Rock Island Urban Gardeners
City of Bettendorf
City of Davenport
Community Health Care, Inc.
Deere & Company
Family Resources, Inc.
Genesis Health System
Iowa State University Extension and Outreach
Quad City Medical Society
Robert Young Center
Rock Island County Health Department
Rock Island/Milan School District #41
Rock Island Regional Office of Education
Scott County Family Y
Scott County Health Department
True Lifestyle Medicine Clinic
Two Rivers YMCA
United Way of the Quad Cities Area
UnityPoint Health - Trinity
University of Illinois Extension
Denise Bulat - Project Chair (309-793-6302)
Nicole Carkner - Staff (563-421-2815)
Rachel Evans - Staff (563-421-2826)